Sunday, December 11, 2011

On the death penalty

Recently, we have had a discussion about the death penalty in class, in an effort to get our minds off of the play. This has had an opposite effect on me, because I often become lost in thought about these subjects, as shown when I essentially argued myself into a circle during this discussion. I felt that is was a safe place, and I shared what I thought about the subject, relating directly to a situation as described in the Laramie project. I do not especially support the death penalty because I think that the murderer could have mental issues or other issues inhibiting the person to think straight. Also, apparently, the death penalty costs some money as well, so the money issue was not a major reason to be pro/con for the issue. I also think that if people can be corrected and give back to society, than the penitentiary system works. Also, there people in jail because of other crimes, so people still have to pay money for that as well. My main point is that if someone has the opportunity to be changed, they should receive that second chance. I am glad that we had the opportunity to have the conversation, because I believe to truly understand a volatile issue, you have to hear both sides

No comments:

Post a Comment